The week of the young child is always one of the most special of the school year. Although we do fun activities every single day, having a whole week dedicated to the joy and wonder of young children is truly special. I want to thank you all for participating and adding to the experience! We couldn't do it without all of your support and willingness to help.
Monday- Music Monday
- We listened to a "class playlist" of favorite music- thank you to those who sent us songs that your children love to listen to! It was nice to add a few new songs to our already wonderful playlist.
- We brought the mini guitars into the classroom and everyone did SUCH an awesome job sharing and turn taking. We are so proud of 2A and how effortlessly they usually share with their peers. Also while we played the guitar, we listened to some classical guitar pieces.
- We attempted to have a circle time where each child showed off a favorite dance move and we all copied it, but some of us got a little stage fright. It was really fun to see what dance moves we could come up with.
- Everyone was able to make their own shaker with a combination of rice, beans, and recycled bottles.
Tuesday- Tasty Tuesday (and PJ day!)
- Everyone wore pajamas to school and we made some very yummy chocolate chip muffins for breakfast.
- We also had cooking with Diane, where we made different tea sandwiches using a combination of lemon curd, dried cranberries, cream cheese, and raisins.
- For Spanish class, we learned a new song about the rainbow (Arc Iris) and a new song about washing the different parts of our bodies.
Wednesday- Work together Wednesday!
- The most exciting thing we did for work together Wednesday was build a birdhouse! It was incredible to see how patient and focused everyone was! We used real materials- wood, glue, nails, and screw in hooks, to make the birdhouse. The best part, by far, was using a hammer to tap in the nails! Some of us were very impressive in how strong and accurate we were as we hammered!
- Nina, Mercer and Katerina were so involved with the birdhouse that they stayed with Rachel during soccer time and finished hammering and then painted the whole house themselves. It's so beautiful- if you haven't seen it, take a peek- it's still hanging in our classroom for the time being. We would like to find a tree either in the neighborhood or if anyone has a house outside of the city and can hang it up, please let me know!
- We also worked together to bake a cake! Sorry for all of the sweets this week, we'll go back to our healthy menu next week!
Thursday- Artsy Thursday
- Oh my goodness- we had the most amazing time getting messy!! We had the water table open and did a lot of splashing since we already had our bathing suits on.
- We visited the Pre-K classroom to continue making art for the front windows- we worked together to make some fluffy clouds, a sun, and some garden elements with clay, dried flowers and beads.
- We made a big banner to take photos with for our special Friday. It's a mixed media piece- we used shaving cream, squeezed paints out of the finger tips of gloves, and poured some tempera paint right on there and slathered it all around. It was messy and fun and everyone was laughing. What a beautiful moment, and memory!
- We poured sand onto sticky paper- the feeling was so soothing that we had a hard time cleaning it up! Everyone was still busy rubbing their fingers across the sand.
Friday- Family Friday & Special Person Day
- It was so lovely meeting all of your special people this morning. It was fantastic seeing everyone together, having such a great time. We hope your flowers grow!! We will be doing some continued planting in the classroom in the weeks to come (and hopefully will have some caterpillars to watch go through the metamorphosis soon!).
Next week it's back to business as usual! We will continue working casually on the letters of the alphabet, finish up decorating the first letter of our names for our class alphabet, and perhaps start learning a bit more about ocean life.
Upcoming dates to keep in mind:
- May 11th is Parents Day (a combination of mothers and fathers day), and curriculum morning for us to present all of the wonderful things we have done with our BMS community in the past couple of months. We will have the kids make your breakfast and help serve you your food as part of the experience- so no need to bring anything for this day!!
- May 21st will be our 1st Annual Spring Market "Pop of Color" is our theme for the year! Our class will be making a few different pink items to sell for our fundraiser! More information coming shortly.
- We are still working on getting tickets to see the play The Gruffalo at BMCC
- Depending on our interest level in ocean life, we may plan some sort of trip to celebrate- either something like the museum of natural history or perhaps a zoo.