This morning we made a cake together! All morning we were so excited, talking about making the cake and how we would wait until after lunch to eat it. We started with the box and read the recipe. We needed oil, water, and three eggs. We took turns pouring in the ingredients and mixing it all up. After it came out of the oven and cooled a little bit, we added some frosting and sprinkles to make our cake really fancy. Yum!
Cooking is such an amazing way to share an experience together, to build community and share love though giving others something to eat. It's also a way to connect with math and science while building our vocabulary.
Books & Songs
- I Know a Shy Fellow Who Swallowed a Cello, Owl Babies, Potty
- We sang "Where oh where is my friend," If You're Happy and You Know it, ABCs, If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked a Cake . . .
Art & Sensory
- Valentine's paintings with red, white and purple- some of us were trying to make a heart.
- Drawing with markers
- Painting with watercolors at the easel
- Model magic
Math, Manipulatives & Science
- Magnet play- using magnets to figure out which keys had enough metal to stick to the magnet, also picking up pipe cleaners and some big metal screws (with a blunt end).
- New tiles and assorted loose parts on the light table (Rachel went to a big recycling center the other day and found a bunch of new objects to use in the classroom for building and exploration).
- Building kit
- Tinker toys
- Hollow blocks and cars
- Taking care of babies, covering them with blankets
- Dress up with hats and other accessories
- Cooking non-stop! We love being mini-chefs!
- In the gym we did a lot of climbing up and down wooden steps and jumping off from the top. We also continued doing a lot of rolling on the big exercise balls.