We had a long conversation about the subway this morning, initiated by Bowen. "Hey, let's take the subway. The subway! Let's get on the subway. Let's take the train!" Some friends overheard her say this, and the discussion continued. "Next stop, Astor Place," Dylan chimed in, "Next stop, Bleeker. Next stop Spring street!" Then Sanjay said, "I want to take the F train." I think this can be a wonderful way to start more letter recognition and reignite our fascination with maps.
Books & Songs
- We did a lot of reading today: Potty, Five Green and Speckled Frogs, Five Little Monkeys, Pete the Cat: Twinkle Twinkle, Happy Feet and more
- We had a surprise reader during lunchtime: Zara's big brother, Emil, read us two stories. Dinosaurs Love Underpants and Where's Dave?
- We sang: Good morning, Down by the station
Art & Sensory
- Painting at the easel
- Painting at the table
- Drawing with crayons
- Beading on pipe-cleaners
- A big bag of pine tree branches arrived and we were so interested in gently touching the pine needles and smelling them! We will be doing some painting with them tomorrow!n
Math & Manipulatives
- Building with magna-tiles
- Building with geometric solid shapes
- Train tracks
- Loose parts and recyclables
- Hollow blocks
- Tinker toys
- Taking care of the soft animals, especially the dinosaur.
- Playing doctor
- Pretending to be inside a house and locking the door
- Using bags, purses, and other accessories in play
- Rolling, going through the tunnel, jumping, sliding, and enjoying the gym.