We had some new mail arrive today! Our mailbox flag was up so Zara and Rachel went to check it out. There was a letter all the way from the Czech Republic! It had a map and a postcard inside the envelope. We took a good look at the map and saw that there's a big river that flows through Prague. There are so many roads and train stops. It was exciting to be able to really talk about the different parts of the map.
Books & Songs
- We did a lot of reading this morning! Hiding Phil, Owl Babies (our new favorite book, and specially requested by Bowen), Wheels On the Bus at the Zoo, Go Away Big Green Monster (Zara requests this every day!), Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, No David! and more!
- We sang: Where oh where is my friend?
- We did a lot of dancing and movement with scarves to classical music. We listened to Vivaldi's Winter and pretended that the scarves were snowflakes falling down.
Art & Sensory
- Because after we made the sun yesterday Sanjay specifically asked that we also make a moon, we set to work on the moon. We cut out the same circle as the sun but then we applied model magic to the surface to make all of the rocks and craters on the moon. Then we added lots of silver paint to complete our moon.
- Drawing with crayons
- Drawing portraits on canvas (we will watercolor them next week)
- Model magic- Bowen made an elephant! We made some more snowmen, and practiced making balls and coils (snakes).
Math & Manipulatives
- Block building with cylinders
- Exploring translucent boxes on the light table
- Squigz- suction cup toys
- We took care of a lot of babies this morning. Juju really wanted to cover all of the babies with blankets so we searched through our bins to find the right materials. Bowen also took care of the babies and carried them around really gently.
- We've been very interested in using play cameras. Zara and Juliet take photos of everything! Juju follows Pinky around the classroom and takes lots of photos. Zara likes to take pictures of people, and tons of Rachel.
- Using pretend keys to unlock Pinky's cage
Music with Isabella
- Today we reflected on the concert and the instruments we saw. We talked about the similarities that the guitar has with the violin, viola, cello and double bass.
- We did a lot of different things to demonstrate high and low pitches
- We read the "Subway" story and used the xylophone to make the correct pitches for "sub-way."
Shared Snack Friday
- A big thank-you to Bowen and family for bringing in some delicious healthy snacks today. We had green beans, daikon, carrots, hummus and spinach potato bites shaped like dinosaurs! We were so surprised that everyone dug right in and tried everything.
- The gym is a place where we have seen so much new social interaction between the children. They are engaging each other in games , seeking each other out to play with, and are communicating so beautifully!