It may seem early, but Halloween is right around the corner! Each year at Buckle My Shoe the children make their own costumes and select a theme. I'm pretty sure we're going to be Monkeys and Bananas this year. We talk about the Five Little Monkeys and listen to the song multiple times a day. So far, this is what everyone wants to be:
- Hamish: A banana
- Dylan: Banana
- Camden: Monkey
- Zara: A monkey
- Ava: Banana!
- Angelo: Banana
- Bowen: Pink monkey
We also talked a lot more about caring for our bunny today. We noticed that Pinky is still a little bit shy and tries to run around her cage to make sure our hands don't touch her too roughly. We talked about not playing with the cage doors because we don't want Pinky to get hurt. We also took turns with a dust pan sweeping some of the bedding and hay that got on the floor because Pinky can be a little bit messy!
Books & Songs
- We read: Rawr Means Hello in Dinosaur, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, From Head to Toe, Red Light Green Light, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Pete the Cat: Wheels on the Bus
- We sang: Good morning, Around and around, Jump in the water, There is a girl/boy in school today, If You're Happy and You Know It, Days of the Week, and ABCs
Art & Sensory
- Painting wooden frames for our classroom
- Drawing with oil pastels
- Drawing with markers- Zara, Angelo, Bowen, Camden and Ava drew pictures for Pinky. As soon as they finished drawing, they excitedly ran over to the cage and showed Pinky the drawings! We are planning on making a book for Pinky.
- Painting at the easel
- Tape exploration
- Watercolor painting on canvas
Math & Manipulatives
- Angelo discovered that there are some fun translucent stacking pieces. They look like little tables and you can build really tall towers with them!
- We had more fun playing with our picture blocks! Zara remembered that there was a slide built with a ramp yesterday and she replicated it so the "Zara block" could slide.
- Angelo and Zara worked together to stack the column and cylinder blocks
- Camden and Dylan played with cars and trucks. Camden liked to turn the cars over and see if he could get the wheels to rub against each other and move. Dylan explored the crane and used the pulley to get the crane to move up and down.
- In the gym we pretended to fall asleep and then everyone would make loud sounds and wake up the sleeping child.
- We did more crawling through the tunnel
- Yoga in the classroom. We added a new move at the end of our yoga book- The happy baby. Since the kids are so interested in doing yoga each morning, we will find more books so we can expand upon our poses and really build this into each day at school.