This morning a bunch of spoons were waiting for us on the table. Dylan immediately clashed two spoons together and started to make a tapping sound. For a while the spoons were used for other purposes (like pouring water into our pumpkin and gourd sink or float activity). Then we came together and searched for all the spoons around the classroom and created a wind chime! As soon as we started attaching the spoons to the wood with wire they started to make a soft tinkling sound.
Now the wind chime is in the front of our classroom and ready for further exploration of sound. Perhaps we will make one with forks to see if it differs?
Books & Songs
- We read: Leaf Man, Red Leaf Yellow Leaf, Go Away Big Green Monster, Panda Bear Panda Bear What Do You See?, Little Blue Truck
- We sang: Good morning, Days of the Week, Hurry hurry drive the firetruck, Skinny-ma-rinky-dinky-dink, and our new favorite: Humpty Dumpty!
- We looked at four new postcards today! We got one postcard from a kindergarten class in New Mexico who told us about the roadrunners that they see in the park. We got one postcard from Samuel's grandparents in London. And we got two post cards from Joseph's grandparents in Philadelphia! We have a few postcards to send out this week- and hopefully it will generate even more mail. How exciting!
Art & Sensory
- Pumpkin and gourds cut in half, in water. Do they sink? Do they float? Do they make a good boat? We explored buoyancy with our leftover pumpkins and gourds today.
- The sound of spoons project
- Gluing and drawing on leaves. Zara remembered making a leaf man and replicated that idea today.
- Self portraits for November
- Drawing the music as we listen to classical music.
- Drawing with chalk
Math & Manipulatives
- Sanjay created a "circle time" with the blocks with photos of his friends.
- Counting our friends today as we waited to go into the gym
- Samuel found a dinosaur puppet and kept hiding the pretend orange juice in the dino's tummy
- Wearing a variety of hats and accessories like goggles
- Cooking and pretending to wash dishes in the kitchen
- Playing more singing games in the gym- "Hamish is going to jump, Hamish is going to jump, Hi-Ho the Dairy-O, Hamish is going to jump."
- Samuel became a rainbow today! He hid himself inside the rainbow tunnel and said he was "stuck." Then when he emerged he said, "I a rainbow!"
- We spotted a little rainbow in our classroom today! Sanjay said it was, "Red, Green and Purple." Dylan noticed that the rainbow got smaller. And then Hamish looked up and announced, "Oh no, the rainbow is all gone." We think it was created by a prism in the 3's classroom!