With a small group this morning we were able to work on many different projects. One great material that we got to play with was slip- which is "clay glue." It's just watered down clay that acts as a binder for two pieces of clay. We used forks to scratch the clay, applied some slip, and then we could easily get another piece of clay to stick! We were also working on our skills in making balls out of clay. Clay is one of those materials that's actually the best for getting hands ready to write and use scissors. Because it's much stiffer than playdough, the muscles in the hand are really strengthened through poking, pinching, and pulling at the clay. We'll work with this often- especially since I am the afternoon clay teacher and will be working with 2's, 3's and 4's in clay each week.
Books & Songs
- We sang: Around and around, Days of the week, Wheels on the bus, Itsy Bitsy Spider, ABCs, Good morning, Hurry hurry drive the firetruck, and Humpty Dumpty
- We read: Happy Dancing Feet, Five Little Pumpkins, The Rain Came Down, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and Where Is The Green Sheep?
- We danced with scarves this morning and listened to "No More Monkeys" while bubbles were flying all around us!
Art & Sensory
- Clay & Slip experimenting
- Painting and using oil pastels at the easel
- Drawing with markers
- Jumbo Water Beads in the sensory table (These start off very small and expand overnight in water. They feel like jelly.)
- Samuel wore the fire fighter outfit all day long. He loved talking about all of the accessories- the badge, megaphone, and hat
- Zara gave the animals some vaccinations with the pretend shot
- Kedar put different hats on and laughed when they tipped off of his head
- Ava and Dylan did some cooking together
Math & Manipulatives
- Magna-tiles on the light table
- Bristle blocks
Music with Evan
- Evan brought a "grandpa-grandma" drum from Guatemala which everyone was able to try
- Everyone had a chance to use Evan's guitar, too
- We sang the "Wake Up" song, Twinkle Twinkle, ABCs, and Wheels on the Bus, and the Goodbye song
- We played with tennis balls, bigger balls, and assorted other bouncy balls in the gym today
- Dancing with scarves in the classroom